Re: Screen Captures in HTML

Subject: Re: Screen Captures in HTML
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 07:48:09 HST

>I am using Paint Shop Pro on a Windows PC to capture bit-mapped screen
images for use in HTML files. However, when I resize the images and save them
as GIF files, the quality deterioates, i.e., they becomes unreadable.<

Good choice of tool! Here's some suggestions:

1. Don't resize bitmaps. If you enlarge them, they become jaggy and blocky. If
you reduce them, bits drop out and small parts of the image (like lettering)
becomes unreadable. Capture the image at the size you want to use (you may need
to experiment with screen resolution to get that size).

2. If you have to resize, do it in even multiples, e.g., 1/2 size, 2x size,
etc. This avoids moire patterns that can also make the image unreadable. Also,
make sure that "Maintain Aspect Ratio" is checked in PSP's Resize dialog box.

3. You may want to experiment with color settings. Maybe you can find one that
produces more readable images when resized to what you want.

HTH

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."