Screen Captures in HTML - WMF files

Subject: Screen Captures in HTML - WMF files
From: Angela <amoore -at- SOFTDESK -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:00:07 -0700

I'm way behind in reading my digest, so I hope no one has responded to this
already and I just haven't read it yet...

Shannon Kelly wrote:

> I am using Paint Shop Pro on a Windows PC to capture bit-mapped screen
> images for use in HTML files. However, when I resize the images and save
them
> as GIF files, the quality deterioates, i.e., they becomes unreadable.

>I've had some (but not much) success with this method:
> Copy the original capture to the clipboard, paste it into a vector
graphics
>program (Corel, Designer, etc.), scale it down there by the
selected-object
>handles, and then export it (at screen resolution) to a bit-mapped format.
>Then open the image in PSP, clean it up wherever necessary, and save it as
>a GIF.

If you are capturing vector images such as lines in a CAD drawing, you
should try the .wmf file format. It's GRRRRREAT! These gems print
beautifully in any online format, and they retain their vector properties
for next time you want to edit them in Corel. (or something) Best of all,
they are incredibly small in size!!! The same bitmap that looked yucky and
took up 59 k became a gorgeous wmf with a size of 2k!!

If you are using Robohelp, the WMF's size better (our bmp's were always too
big on the screen in Help) AND they are already transparent so you don't
have to add the little 't' manually.

The only problems we've found so far are:
1. You must have a program that will export as .wmf. AutoCAD does it
nicely, allowing me to select which objects I want to be in the file. You
cannot screencapture to a wmf or it will lose its vector qualities.

2. Don't save dialog images as wmf's. Since they aren't vector, the wmf
seems to mess them up.

-angela

Angela Moore amoore -at- softdesk -dot- com
(Does not express the opinion of Softdesk)
"Be careful about reading health books, you may
die of a misprint." - Mark Twain