Re: Spacing Between Sentence From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>:

Subject: Re: Spacing Between Sentence From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>:
From: Jan Jackson <jjackson -at- SUSQ -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 15:05:19 -0400

>Frankly, Robert, I don't give a darn. I'm so Victorian that I actually
>believe readers need to understand what they're reading. No amount of
>style ponitification will prevent me from creating readable documents.

I fail to see why the additional space makes a document more readable.
The period followed by a space and then a word starting with a capital
letter is a blatant clue that one sentence is ending and another is beginning.

The widened space also contributes towards what I think are referred to
in publishing as "rivers" (vertical columns of white space) which negatively
affect readability. Aesthetically speaking, it makes a document look more
choppy which also hinders the eye flow and therefore ease of reading.

I, BTW, find this kind of discussion helpful. This is an issue I had to make
a conscious decision about and appreciate the differing points of view.

--
Jan Jackson, Technical Writer
Susquehanna Investment Group