Re: ARE SECTIONS/CHAPTERS ALWAYS NEEDED?

Subject: Re: ARE SECTIONS/CHAPTERS ALWAYS NEEDED?
From: "Cheverie, Paul [Cont]" <paul -dot- cheverie -at- GPO -dot- CANADA -dot- CDEV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 13:22:00 EDT

Your primary concern should be how will the user use your pub and how will
the organization of your pub affect its usefulness. I don't know of any
standards that require parts, sections, chapters, headings, lead-ins or what
have you. If the manual you are writing can be most effectively organized
without divisions, then by all means use that organization. If, and this is
normally the case, divisions in your manual will make it easier for the user
to understand (and thus increase its usefulness) then use divisions.
In this situation, where your projecting 75 pages or more, I don't see how
you can organize the manual without using chapters or sections. The rule of
thumb for this one is the application of pure common sense.
Good Luck
Paul C.
paul -dot- cheverie -at- gpo -dot- canada -dot- cdev -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: ARE SECTIONS/CHAPTERS ALWAYS NEEDED?
Date: Tuesday, July 16, 1996 10:17AM

My questions to the list:

Are sections and chapters always needed, or should I just put
tasks as main headings?

Is it enough to just list the tasks in a table of contents and
have one long continuous piece of documentation.

The scope of project looks like it could turn out to be 75 or
more pages (run front and back).

-- Barb --
bridley -at- usccmail -dot- bms -dot- com