Re: forbidden to apostrophize

Subject: Re: forbidden to apostrophize
From: "Parks, Beverly L." <parksb -at- HUACHUCA-EMH7 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 08:04:00 MST

Michal Lastman <michall -at- aks -dot- com> writes:

The only other technical writer at my office has joined sides with the
editor who bans apostrophes. He says that contractions are a sign of
"sloppy" writing. He insists inanimate objects can't use an apostrophe to
show possessive because objects can't possess and for clarity and
consistency, I shouldn't use possessive forms with people's names either.
<<

Maybe you could remind the other technical writer that inanimate objects
can't write either, so you better delete -all- the text, not just the
apostrophes. For goodness sakes, a person is doing the writing, not the
object.

Bev Parks
parksb -at- huachuca-emh7 -dot- army -dot- mil