USAGE: screwdriver

Subject: USAGE: screwdriver
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- SYNERGEX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 09:36:09 -0700

Brian wrote:

I suppose we could solve this most easily by using icons that
depict the screw head for each occurrence, but I'd really like to know the
best terms to use. I don't even know of a good source for this terminology,
except a tool catalog, and that doesn't necessarily reflect "standard"
terminology, except in the country of origin of the catalog.

The box of screwdrivers I bought last week describes the two
types as "slotted" and "Phillips head." However, in your
international scenario, every country *could* have its own terms
for these two types. In that case, universally understood terms
might not exist.

Perhaps you could include one graphic of each type, state which
is slotted and which is Phillips head, and then use the terms
throughout your document. You could then avoid using icons with
each occurrence.

/
----- /
| | |