Re: Manual Revision Dates

Subject: Re: Manual Revision Dates
From: Deb Newman <dnewman -at- SIERRASYS -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 12:55:00 PST

On Friday, Chas Beck asked these questions about manual revision dates.

------------
(snip)
Here's the question we are wrestling with:

When revising or adding pages, should we--
1. place the date of the changes/additions *only* on the pages we are
revising or adding (and not on other existing pages), with the current
revision date as the supersession date?
2. place a date consistent with the current manual revision date in
the
revision date block (even though the changes are being made after that
date)?
3. change the revision and supersession dates in the entire manual
(which would be a huge hassle, given the frequency with which this
company
wants changes made/added)?

And, BTW, just how much change is required to a manual before it is
considered a "new revision?"
(snip)
I've worked extensively for various manufacturing clients. Manual
maintenance should always be major consideration. After all, you will
not be there forever.
It has been my practice to recommend the following to the client when it
comes to revisions:
* Revision dates used for an updated procedure are the last saved date.
It doesn't matter that the revised date is not the same throughout the
manual.
* Depending on the type of manual (and company policy) a complete manual
update could be scheduled for review once every 6 to 12 months. A manual
is only reprinted if the number of changes warrant it. If the changes
are minimal, update those sections that have been modified, use an
accurate revision date and distribute.
* A standard operating procedure manual often requires that the SOP's are
current. In that case, revise the SOP, use an accurate revision date and
distribute on an as needed bases.
Hope this helps. If you have any further questions or wish me to
elaborate, please feel free to contact me.

Deb Newman
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Technical Writer
dnewman -at- sierrasys -dot- com