Re: Icons vs Buttons ..more

Subject: Re: Icons vs Buttons ..more
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 08:09:21 -0500

>>I have a new question now....in the new documentation for a piece of
>>software
>>my co has developed we are confused on the use of the words "icons" and
>>"buttons". We feel that an icon is a graphical representation of the action
>>that will take place when you click it. A button has text on it to describe
>>what it will do.

>Icons are pictures on buttons. You can also have icons that are not on
>buttons
>that cannot be clicked on. Text can also be on buttons. One clicks on
>buttons,
>not icons or text.

I have a matrix of Icons on my desktop. They are not buttons yet they
can be double-clicked to invoke an application. Furthermore, the
desktop Properties dialog box refers to their classification as Icons,
not buttons. I am coming to the conclusion that the classification
(Icon or button) is a product of the item's appearance rather than
functionality (Albeit, a button that has no associated action is
useless).

Mike Wing