Possible Solutions to Note Taking and Ultima Donnas

Subject: Possible Solutions to Note Taking and Ultima Donnas
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:12:17 -0500

Before someone takes me too seriously, the following are some
tongue-in-cheek solutions to the note-taking situation:

1) Continuously stop the speakers in the meeting to clarify points.
Delay continuance until you have finished writing down the information
(for more emphasis, utter each word and/or syllable as you write). Ask
for many repeats of statements and points.

2) Do such a botched up job in transcribing the notes (especially
technical details) that the task moves to someone "more qualified".

3) Ask your boss to prioritize the note transcription and distribution
task. If the notes cannot be distributed quickly (or at all) have the
complainers work with your boss about reprioritizing your tasks (in
anticipation that your boss tells them to distribute the task more
evenly or find someone else).

4) Make sure you document every disagreement and record the "mood" of
the combatants in the transcription of the notes. CC the upper
management on the transcription so that they can savor the moments.

5) Add note taking/transcription to all your time lines and reflect the
time spent in your status reports. Especially include statements such
as "due to the length and technical detail of the meeting notes my new
projected completion time has been pushed out to . . ."

6) Make the task a group effort. Drop into the offices of the
principals of the meeting to discuss (ad naseum) the details and issues
of the meeting (in the guise of presenting accurate transcriptions).
Make them uncomfortable with the time it is taking to perform this task.

Mike Wing

Disclaimer

"I claim no responsibility for the impact on your job status for
following one of these suggestions"

_/
_/ Michael Wing
_/ Principal Technical Writer
_/ Jupiter Customization and Educational Services
_/ Intergraph Corporation
_/ 730-7250
_/ mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com
_/