Re: note taking

Subject: Re: note taking
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 13:35:35 PDT

Most "highly trained professionals" are sadly disorganized. Left to their
own devices, the day after a meeting they will have no clear recollection
of what, if anything, was decided. Thus, it's generally a Good Thing for
them to receive a concise statement of what happened at the meeting,
provided that anyone is capable of putting one together.

I've known several directors and vice presidents who always knocked out
a set of meeting minutes immediately after each of their meetings, to
make sure everyone was knew what was going on, and what was expected of
them. While technical writing is a lofty calling, I don't think it's
THAT much loftier than being an executive.

I always take notes at meetings. Sometimes I publish them, either
by prearrangement, or because I'm trying to make a point. The only
reason I never volunteer to publish the minutes was that I am honing
my meeting-avoidance skills, and don't want to be obligated to attend
any meeting that isn't well worth my time.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon, President/Managing Editor, High-Tech Technical Writing, Inc.
robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (541) 453-5841 * Fax: (541) 453-4139