Re: Re[5]: note taking

Subject: Re: Re[5]: note taking
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 10:15:10 +1000

I think most of us are saying is that taking notes is very different to
transcription. Transcription is rarely useful, creates and documents
waffle and is a purely secretarial job. Documenting decisions,
unresolved issues etc is a different story. I believe that most people
here are team players and are happy to work with a team and will do
something because it needs to be done. However there is a difference
between being a team player who takes their turn, does nasty tasks
sometimes and a walked over drudge who gets stuck with the lousy tasks
all the time. To be a good team player you will always have to roll your
sleeves up and do the photocopying or binding because something must make
the couriers by 4 or some other task, however if the team you are working
with constantly dumps on you the minutes, the coffee, the photocopying
etc then you aren't really a member of the team but the teams tame slave.

If you notice most people's notes said they were happy to help out in an
emergency, happy to document important decisions etc they just weren't
transcribers. I think at least most of the time this is a reasonable
decision. Teams work both ways, you can only be a member of a team if
the others in the team let you, work with you and respect you, and you
are prepared to be a member, and give them respect and co-operation.

It may have sounded like most of us were trying to be prima donnas but I
don't think we meant it like that :)

Colleen Dancer
dancer -dot- colleen -at- a2 -dot- abc -dot- net -dot- au