Note-taking

Subject: Note-taking
From: Susanne_Dupes -at- CCMAIL -dot- OSTI -dot- GOV
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 08:28:00 -0400

This is an interesting discussion. I would appear that views on
note-taking are as varied as everything else in the communication
field!

I am a Senior Technical Writer (program coordinator) for the Operating
Agent (OA) of the Energy Technology Data Exchange, a consortium of 19
countries who compile the Energy Database. Annually, the Executive
Committee, one member from each country, holds a policy and planning
meeting. Part of the responsibility of the OA is taking notes and
producing minutes for the meeting.

At our just concluded meeting in Sweden, new staff members who thought
note-taking would be a breeze were surprised at the difficulty level.
The Minutes we produce are usually 35 to 40 pages in final form. I
don't view this as a secretarial task. It actually requires high
level communication skills in effective listening, mental flexibility,
and being able to translate the information into a form easily
understood by an international audience.

Now, if anyone in the East Tennessee area is familiar with any
training in note-taking that our staff can attend, please let me know.

Susanne Dupes
Program Coordinator, Operating Agent Staff
Energy Technology Data Exchange
(susanne -dot- dupes -at- ccmail -dot- osti -dot- gov)