| (on) vs. O (off)

Subject: | (on) vs. O (off)
From: gotliebc -at- AGCS -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 09:26:31 -0700

Our new hardware product has a power switch that is labelled "O" for OFF and
"|" for ON. These are not a zero and a one, but a circle and a vertical line.
I've seen this labelling on a lot of electronic gadgets, including electronic
typewriters and word processors (and quite frankly was always confused about
what was on and what was off). A colleague suggested that these labels
represent the bits 0 and 1 and were derived from that. True?

My main question is, how have other writers described these labels? For
instance, in a troubleshooting procedure we say, "Turn power off (O pressed
down) and back on (| pressed down)."

--
Regards,

Carl Gotlieb