Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation

Subject: Re: Online vs. Hardcopy documentation
From: Denise Passmore <woodstuck -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 19:16:40 -0700

We have been using online for over 2 years now with mixed success. The users
for the product I write for are not very computer literate and are
uncomfortable using online text. They work on laptops and are usually
sitting in a client's home at the time they are using the system. They will
use it (reluctantly) for reference but when it comes to doing complicated
procedures forget it.

While going to handbooks is an alternative, one we are employing, I am
interested in developing cue cards which could be up and followed at the same
time the user is working on the application. Has anyone employed that
technique? Do any of the rest of you have experience with usability of
online procedures?

Denise Passmore
Nielsen Media