Re: What would you do?

Subject: Re: What would you do?
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 07:49:17 -0400

Susan Gallagher:
>I got a call from a local TW contracting company the other day.
> <horrific examples deleted>

I wonder if the poor souls who subcontract through them ever saw the
promotional materials?

That's one of the first things I ask any contracting firm that tries to
recruit me. Several of them use truly terrible stuff similar to the one
Sue quoted; they seem to get their writing contracts as 'side orders' to
programming or hardware installation contracts.

At least one of the most successful body shops in town, though, did produce
a formal promotional package several years ago. The brochure was designed,
written and edited by the firm's top subcontractor, and the package was
given to the entire stable to proofread. Very impressive.

>What would you do? Would you point these things out to them, or
>just never have any business to sent their way?

Yes. They should have their noses rubbed in it. Nicely, of course---but
make it clear that you are taking your business elsewhere because they
don't produce written material that meets your standards.

LIFE1: Technical writing, editing and document design
MasterWork Consulting Services katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Health info service mediref -at- mcls -dot- rochester -dot- lib -dot- ny -dot- us
LIFE2: Vocal chamber music PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com