Re: HTML as document source

Subject: Re: HTML as document source
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 12:09:12 -0700

Hi all;

>> The problem is not how to print hard copy from Web pages. Rather, it's
>> much easier to figure out how to create both hard copy and Web pages from
>> material stored in the same database.

Jan Jackson commented....

>This issue of single sourcing online and paper documentation is not new
>with HTML and is more than just a matter of scrolling pages. To have an
>effective online or paper document, it has to be designed for that medium.

Agreed. BTW, I'm not claiming that this is new to HTML.

>A manual needs a toc, an index, cross-referencing and an integrated and logical
>structure.

A _hardcopy_ manual needs a toc, an index and so forth. A document
designed for a different medium is not necessarily going to use the
same set of elements.

>Hypertext is more a collection of topics which are connected by
>well-thought out and accessible links. It has a more limited page size,
>poor resolution (compared to paper), and has to work hard to replace the
>scoping function that thumbing through a manual serves.

I think we're in general agreement with eachother. As above, the essential
questions are:

o How can one use a different set of (HTML) document elements to provide
roughly the same amount of data coverage as a hard copy document?

o By what (rhetorical) process can HTML documents be created and maintained?
And must that process disrupt hard copy document procedures?

David (Just call me Cassandra) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus