Re: Re[2]: What would you do?

Subject: Re: Re[2]: What would you do?
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 00:50:11 -0800

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:44:00 -0600, Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM wrote:

>Let's say you're wandering through a store and someone comes up to you and
>gives you a sales pitch about rennovating your kitchen. Let's also postulate
>that you yourself are a cabinetmaker by trade. The marketer who is pitching
>to you takes you over to where the company's sample cabinets are, and
>proudly shows them off. You find one where the doors don't completely close,
>one with a hole in the side, maybe another one has a shelf which has a split
>down the middle of it. Perhaps yet another with splotches in the finish.

>Now, what do you do? Do you enthusiatically sign on the dotted line? Do you
>take the pitch man over all the mistakes his people have made in
>constructing these units, knowing full well he doesn't understand some of
>the woodworking points you're making (about checks in the boards, and about
>wood movement after construction, and more). Or do you just shake your head
>and move on?

Definitely a better analogy. However, if I were a professional in
construction (which I have been at times :), first of all, I'd be
shopping at a store where I know the salesdroids have some sort of clue
-- at least such that when I pointed out the problems to them, it
wouldn't completely go over their heads. If the guy's eyes glazed over
at the term "drawer slide", I'd definitely know I was in the wrong
store :)

Kinda like buying stereo or computer gear at these electronic
"superstores"... I like to go in and play stupid and let the salesdroid
(who probably also works the Major Household Appliances department) get
worked into a frenzy of jargon and made-up technobabble, then blow him
out the back wall with some intense technical questions that completely
fries his mind. >:-)

Your friend and mine,
Matt