Re: Naming conventions

Subject: Re: Naming conventions
From: Tom Neuburger <Tom_Neuburger -at- LTX-TR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:48:53 -0600

Reply to: RE>Naming conventions

Meredith,

I would call a picture of a full screen a "screen", a window within
the screen a "window", except for dialog boxes. A "dialog
box" (not a "dialog") is a window that opens and demands
attention--it must be responded to before other work can go on.

By the way, I don't like the term "dialog" for dialog boxes This seems
to have been carried over from Microsoft engineering documentation
by engineers who document their own Windows apps. To me, it
doesn't sound like English. A dialog is an event. A dialog box is
something that can appear on a computer screen. Unfortunately, enough
engineers write documentation that their terminology sometimes
sticks, even when it's ugly (IMHO).

There are other kinds of windows -- i.e., pallette -- but "window"
and "dialog box" should get you through.

Hope this helps.

Tom Neuburger

--------------------------------------
Date: 8/7/96 9:22 AM
To: Tom Neuburger
From: Meredith Townley
There has been a small debate in the office over how "screens" should be =
referenced in the documentation. I'm curious as to what others call =
what I refer to as screens. The debate includes calling them screens, =
dialogs, and windows. What is the norm or proper term and are the three =
terms above the same?

Meredith Townley, Technical Writer
Mtownley -at- Cgro -dot- com