Willamette Valley Job Listings (long)

Subject: Willamette Valley Job Listings (long)
From: Lee Bumgarner <lee -dot- bumgarner -at- VIRTUS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:33:28 -0400

>Several people have asked to be placed on a list and automatically e-mailed
>with new information, but once the number reached 125, I had to stop that.
>Plus, my mailer doesn't have a 'blind CC' feature, so I can't just include
>everyone in one message (for reasons of confidentiality -- as in, now
>everyone knows who's looking for a better job).

STC offers a great solution for you that would
1. Make this info. more timely
2. Make this info. available to more people
3. Solve the problem of having to email

STC has a listserv with file space so that you can create an employment web
site. Eric Ray (owner of this list and sysadmin. of the STC site) has
indicated there is still space and no upfront cost on this STC server for
STC chapters.

The STC Carolina Chapter and other STC local chapters (Lone Star and
Atlanta chapters, I believe) maintain web pages (I don't remember which
has an employment page). Carolina Chapter web pages includes a home page
with links to pages for listing chapter officers, upcoming events, an
online newsletter, and job bank (including a page with local and national
job hunting links, chapter-area temporary/contract agencies, chapter-area
companies with employment web pages (soon to be linked to the job bank home
page), lists of area jobs (updated weekly every Monday), and a
soon-to-instituted page for local chapter members' html-version resumes.)

I would urge you to look into requesting that your local-chapter board
start a web page or your employment committee start a local STC-chapter
employment web page. It sounds like you have the demand for it.

For our web pages see

http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/carolina_homepage.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/leadership.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/pubs/index.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/events.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/neatwww.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/credits.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/pubs/Award_Notice.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/pubs/Salary_Survey.html

For our jobpages see:
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/cc_joblisting.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/weeklyjobs.html
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/agency.htm
http://stc.org/region2/ncc/www/companies.htm

Beware, however, that having a web page might beef up your resume. :)

'Course, it does take some time to run a web page, but we have three
local-chapter members who serve as a troika (as Michael Uhl calls it :) )
that serve as "webmasters," sharing duties in addition to our
officer/committee jobs (although we are seeking a local-chapter volunteer
to serve as full-time volunteer webmaster). The STC Carolina Chapter
Employment Committee itself has members (Dick Evans, Julie Davis, Jennifer
Moore, Gina Caldanaro, and me) who each have a page he or she maintains.

I will be more than happy to discuss this in greater detail off the list
since this is only indirectly related to tech. comm. Send email to my home
address: jlbumgar -at- aol -dot- com, NOT to the work address in the header.

Lee B.