Re: Documentation Architecture Question

Subject: Re: Documentation Architecture Question
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 13:40:05 -0500

Shari;

Obviously I don't know the specifics of the software you are
documenting. Therefore, I'll shoot from the hip. Is it possible to
organize the software commands by functional families? For example,
file management, text editing, line draw, graphic importing/exporting,
and so forth. If so, maybe the documentation could be developed with
chapters that are containers for the functional families. These
chapters would link individual documents; one for each command.
Therefore, if a command is added or deleted, the impact to documentation
is minimized.

Let's say the development group is creating 2-d line draw commands.
They currently have the rectangle, arc, line, fill, circle; however,
they are not sure that the grouping command is going to work. The
container document could introduce 2-d line drawing and explain their
common functionalities (handles, line weight, bring-to-front, and so
forth). This document would then pull in the arc document, the line
document, and so forth. If the group command does make it, include the
group document. The command documents do not have to be stand alone,
they just have to blend into the container.

One of the keys to writing the container document is not address
specific commands (because the referenced command may be dropped).
Rather, address the concepts of the family grouping (such as using a
double click to terminate a multi-lined geometric shape - which could be
a polygon, bspline curve, and so forth). The specific commands, written
in separate documents, could then be linked into the document. If the
command is dropped, drop it from the documentation. If an entire family
group is dropped, drop the chapter.

Think of the container document as your grocery cart and the individual
command documents as your grocery items. The document is structured so
that commands can be added and replaced with relative ease without
damage to the containing document structure.

Mike Wing

_/
_/ Michael Wing
_/ Principal Technical Writer
_/ Infrastructure Technical Information Development
_/ Intergraph Corporation
_/ Huntsville, Alabama
_/ (205) 730-7250
_/ mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com