Re: Help for a newbie?

Subject: Re: Help for a newbie?
From: Barbara Miller <millercm -at- MILLER-COMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 16:51:18 -0600

Kate asks

I am curious as to methods you use in the final stages of your books/material
before handing them off to editors. What techniques do you use for
proofreading, and ensuring that your material is the best it can be before
handing it off?

********************************

I've used a checklist of items I sometimes miss and made several passes thru
a document, looking for just 1 or 2 items each time.

My checklist consisted of items I sometimes missed, such as

Organization (a 2 for every 1)
Citations of tables and figures in text
Placement of tables and figures (on same spread or after citation)
Required front matter (title page, acknowledgments, etc.) and back matter
(reference list, resource list, etc.)
Format consistency
Follows company style
Headings and captions are in correct format
Any particular spelling problems (an acronym with transposed letters) or
grammar (style) problems (a client who didn't like split infinitives tho
exceptable to me) A grammar/spell checker will help identify these areas.

I would also
Check Table of Contents against actual headings (generally takes care of
the first item)
Check List of Tables and Figures against actual tables and figures.

Your checklist should reflect your problem areas. The key is to make several
passes looking for only 1 or 2 items at most. Over time, you'll start
noticing the problems as you write, and your checklist will get smaller and
number of passes fewer.

Good luck!
Barb