Re: Meridiem: more than you wanted to know

Subject: Re: Meridiem: more than you wanted to know
From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:17:00 -0600

A.M. and P.M. are "ante meridiem" and "post meridiem" because
in those phrases "noon" takes the accusative case as the object
of a preposition ("before" / "after").

"Meridian" is an English word that can mean noon but more usually,
I think, refers to a pole-to-pole line on a map.

Thanks for the spelling correction. I obviously meant the former but spelled
the latter.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224