Re: On-line manuals -- we do them

Subject: Re: On-line manuals -- we do them
From: "Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862" <DANCER -dot- COLLEEN -at- A2 -dot- ABC -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 17:18:13 +1000

Dick Harris wrote:

I would venture to say that most customers of software products would
love it if the complete manual set was online, if a one-sheet
installation sheet wer shipped too. Every user would have a manual, and
it would never get lost (borrowed). I believe an engineeran engineer can
make updates/changes in some way and feed those back to us via surface m-
ail on a floppy disk. Most engineers never do.
<end quote>

I would only love it if the company did the following:

1. indexed it SUPERBLY (shouting intended) including the things I think
of it as, not the writer eg DOS - soundcard or Soundcard - DOS do not
exist in Win95 help which is a pain in the proverbial when your soundcard
doesn't work under DOS.

2. did not put information that I want to print in a secondary window (eg
MS Word v2 codes for search and replace)

3. Did not skimp on the manuals

4. Did not split the manuals into so many different manuals that I can't
find anything eg HDK online help

5. Provided a section on key features as you don't have the manual to
flip through.

Apart from that OK.

Cheers
Colleen Dancer