Summary of UK Info

Subject: Summary of UK Info
From: Andrew Swartz <AFSwartz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 11:20:00 -0400

What a wonderful community the TECHWR-L list is. Earlier this week I sent
a message requesting information about working as a technical author in
the UK. Within 24 hours I had in my hands a score of informative,
detailed, and (of course) well-written responses.

Most of the responses were sent directly to me. In case the information
is useful to others, I'd like to encapsulate it here.

- More than in the US, companies in the UK tend to hire technical authors
(as they are called there) as contractors rather than as staff.

- Most of England's computer companies are in the south and along the M4
corridor.

- Salaries are lower in the UK than in the US. Most people mentioned the
range 20,000-25,000 pounds, which at the current exchange rate would be
something like $32,000-$40,000.

- Vacations are longer than in the US, usually 4-5 weeks.

- The weather is not as nice in the UK as it is in California.