Thanks for info

Subject: Thanks for info
From: "Tsigaridis, Vicki" <VTsigari -at- VITGCAB4 -dot- TELECOM -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:09:00 EST

Hello again

Thanks to all who responded to my query about Champaign and contract work.
The member list has a wealth of experience & knowledge, for which I am
grateful. I have received lots of info about Champaign and other cities.

Apparently Champaign is *flat* but has a great Uni and is beautiful to some.
Others have encouraged me to consider England as it is "tons more fun".
Most of the list had pleasant experiences with travelling, unless it is
with three kids in tow. I have received info about other US & Canadian
cities and Chicago appears to be a favourite, but not for the weather!

Others have mailed me for info on how to get contracts etc. Lots of us are
on the move, or considering it.

BTW Melbourne is a beautiful city of 4+ million and is voted as Australia's
most livable city. We have great cultural events and a relaxed lifestyle.
However it is where I grew up and I would like to explore a bit, while I
can. Also I am hoping that travelling will enhance my career and therefore
I intend to choose a job for the career prospects and not for the location.

I am still waiting for firm job offers to come in and therefore will post
another mail about what I end up doing. I hope to travel over the next 2-5
years.

Salaries vary greatly between countries and depends on experience and on
what the job entails. In England contracts pay around $40ph. U.S.
Contracting salaries seem firm between ($25-35 ph) and permanent salaries
vary more ($45,000+) these figures are not for actual positions but are
hypotheticals based on what someone with my skills and experience could
reasonably expect to receive (11 years & degree and other quals). This
information was only requested so that if a discussion about salary comes up
in an interview in another country. I know what salary I can expect in my
country, which by the way pays slightly more than the U.S. These figures
could be wrong, please do not base any of your work on these figures.

Australians can travel on business to the U.S. with out a visa if the visit
is less than 3 months. If it is more then I believe that you must be
sponsored to work in the U.S. You can travel for longer times on a tourist
visa, but (usually) cannot work.

If anyone wants any info on contracting/working/Melb then please feel free
to contact me.

Cheers

Vicki Tsigaridis

VTSIGARI -at- VITGCAB4 -dot- TELECOM -dot- COM -dot- AU