Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English

Subject: Re: Manuals Written in Non-American English
From: Mike Bygrave <bygravem -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 10:24:45 +-100

> I know several regular contributors hail from across a pond. Any
insights from them or anyone else would be most helpful.

1. Put a "U" in colour and honour.
2. Never use the word "gotten".
3. Don't make any words up.
4. Avoid using words which other people have made up
(like "functionality").
5. Remember, full stops and commas go outside of brackets
and quotes.
6. Avoid nasty jargon, like "ballpark figure", "touch base",
"pastrami and sauerkraut on brown pumpernickel" etc.

That should just about do it. If you're in any doubt, give your work to an English editor who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to anglicise (not "anglicize"!) it.

Hmmm ... perhaps I could patent this list.

manchesterunitedmanchesterunitedmanchesterunitedmanchesterunited
Mike Bygrave (bygravem -at- intuitive -dot- co -dot- uk)
Standard disclaimer - Please don't sue me
1966 was a great year for English football - Cantona was born
manchesterunitedmanchesterunitedmanchesterunitedmanchesterunited