Re: Manuals Written in Non-American Eng

Subject: Re: Manuals Written in Non-American Eng
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 12:19:27 -0400

Exactly!
I have (according to tests) incredibly good reading comprehension, and a
college education, and read quite a bit for pleasure.
In a manual, *please* condescend me with short, simple sentences and
short simple words. Somebody else said "'taint litrechure."
Rightly so. Literature is easier to write.

When I read for fun or enlightenment, I have the patience for complexity,
and even ambiguity. When I read a manual, it's for information. I need it
now, I need it clear, I need it exact. And I have something else on my
mind. If I'm reading a manual, it's for a tool that I'm trying to use.
What's on my mind isn't the manual, or even the thing the manual
describes. What's on my mind is some task. And I'm distracted from that
task by a tool, and distracted from that tool by a manual. I don't have a
lot of mental energy left over to play with fancy words and baroque
sentence structures.