Re: Moderated Techwr-l List? (#160593)

Subject: Re: Moderated Techwr-l List? (#160593)
From: wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 10:21:20 MDT

22-AUG-1996 09:49:05.93

Mike writes:

>If it is the former, then this is true filtering
>and therefore less objectionable; if it is the latter, then it is nothing
>more than thinly veiled censorship.

I can see how having one entry or filtering point would cause this dilemma. I
was thinking more on the lines of a completely separate list--different name and
different distribution. (Was this Tom's idea too, or am I alone in this?) If a
branch of types were put in place, it could certainly lead to such abuses
(although not necessarily). I would see two lists sharing many similar topics
(not the same posts, mind you), but the moderated list would have less chat.

>Personally, I quite enjoy some of the more 'animated' messages that appear
>on the list. IMHO they are part of the full and frank discussion which
>this list encourages, and if the arguments occasionally become a little
>heated - so be it.

I agree with you, and I think Tom made the same point ("makes the dullness
bloom" I believe he stated). That's part of my point (though I should have
expressed it directly). He made a suggestion, and it was greeted with nasty
insinuations rather than tempered feedback. If he had overlooked some drawbacks
of his position, I'm sure he would have accepted them (and he may not have had a
problem with the comments that did appear).

Let's see if I can make this post more relevant to technical communication.
How many of us employ the same techniques to offer feedback on this list as we
do when we suggest changes to a document during a peer review session? When we
do allow ourselves to rant, to what end?

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM