Re: Portfolios and contracts

Subject: Re: Portfolios and contracts
From: Greg Cento <greg -at- FOCUS-SYSTEMS -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 14:30:33 -0400

Hello group,

Win Day and David Demyan have both raised the same point. Here is David's
version (I was too quick on the delete key after reading Win's):

>BTW, I don't think it is wise to show some something without the permission
>of the previous client/employers for whom it was completed. I also rely
>on these people for recommendations, so it is best to lay out all the
>cards for a prospective client/employer because he/she may just call
>your reference and say something like: "I saw the work Dave did for
>you and I have some specifc questions about that project." If you have
>given away any of the previous client/employer's secrets, you'll be in
>deep doo-doo and may get a bad rap.

FWIW, whenever I take on jobs that require a contract (in my experience,
not all do), I make sure the contract addresses whether I may include the
finished product in my portfolio. To date this approach has been well
received. I'm not sure why, but my guess is that it speaks to my
professionalism - it says (1) I'm in it for the long-haul; (2) I'll be sure
to do a good job since I already know I want to show it off; (3) I'm up
front about my intentions ("honesty is the best policy").

I've done this four times now and have four diverse pieces that I can
safely display to potential clients.

Greg (who tries to minimize surprise when possible) Cento
greg -at- zone4 -dot- com