Toolbars -Reply

Subject: Toolbars -Reply
From: David Hailey <FAHAILEY -at- WPO -dot- HASS -dot- USU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:33:11 -0600

Of the hypermedia documents we produce here, the menu bar
and all toolbars are completely or almost completely
eleminated. Navigation takes place from within the document
using hotwords, hot icons, hot graphics and buttons. In
fact, the only document we have made that has a menu bar or
tool bar is an experimental instructional module for
teaching thermodynamics. This will allow students to edit
documents, so will need tools.

As concerns navigation between documents. We have one
project where one module becomes the interface between all
other projects we have produced to date -- a sort of
portfolio -- it works very well.

Hoping this helps . . .

Dave

Snip-----

I need a quick poll from those of you working in an
application based
software environment and using GUI screen construction.

When you create toolbars are they typically used, as in
Microsoft, for such actions as SAVE, CLOSE, DELETE, OPEN?

Our initial design has a toolbar that is used for
navigational purposes
between applications. The "editing" buttons mentioned above
appear on the screen itself as buttons.

Curious as to the rules governing design of toolbars and
what you have
experienced.

TIA,
Cheryl D. Kidder
Senior Information Developer (formerly Senior Tech Writer)
Symix, Inc.
Columbus, OH
chekid -at- symix -dot- com

To send a message about technical communication to 2500+
list readers,
E-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send administrative
commands
to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray, at
ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-