Questions about Consulting

Subject: Questions about Consulting
From: Melissa Lowery <MLOWERY -at- GWM -dot- SC -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 11:48:32 -0400

I am currently looking for a new tech writing job. I have come across several local consulting
firms advertising positions. Since I have limited job hunting experience in this field (I have been at
my first job for a couple of years), I would like to know what kinds of questions I need to ask
before agreeing to work as a consultant through a firm. Here are a few of my preliminary
concerns regarding consulting:

- How should I discuss compensation? Are there several standard types of arrangements?
- What kind of benefits should I ask for or expect?
- How does consulting differ from a series of temporary placements through an agency?
- Will I have any choice in what types of assignments that I am given?
- WIll I be able to use samples from my assignments in my portfolio?

I'm sure I will think of others as well. What other questions should I be asking?

I am especially interested in hearing from anyone who runs a consulting firm.

- What do you expect from your consultants?
- What kind of compensation arrangements do you have with them?
- Do you act as an "agent" of sorts, looking for additional work for them when assignments end
but not paying them unless they are working, or are they on your payroll permanently -- even
between assignments?

These may sound like naive questions, but I really have no idea what to expect. You may respond
to me privately or to the list if you feel that it would be relevant.

Thanks!

Melissa Lowery
mlowery -at- gwm -dot- sc -dot- edu
USC CSD Contractual Services