Re: Information Mapping

Subject: Re: Information Mapping
From: Karen Jenkins <jenkins -at- AMESLAB -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:27:42 -0500

Just wanted to check to see if you received the kind of input you wanted on
Information Mapping. If you still need more info, I have worked with Info
Mapping a great deal, and I took one of their 3 day training courses. If
you have any specific questions, maybe I can answer them.

I had a supervisor that absolutely LOVED Info Mapping, and who insisted
that we use the system for writing compliance procedures and manuals. The
method is being promoted now as a "preferred" method for writing workplace
documentation for compliance with ISO 9000 standards. They do recommend a
specific procedure for collecting information and then "chunking" this for
the final document, etc.

However, the company keeps fairly strict control of the method. You can
get "macros" on discs to add into WinWord, etc., that allow you to do some
of the formatting that is recommended. There is also a user's newsletter,
manuals, etc. These are available (in theory) only to those who have taken
one of the training courses. Unfortunately, when I left my last job, I did
not continue the newsletter subscription. I do understand that some large
companies have adopted Information Mapping as their "standard" format for
producing at least some kinds of documentation in-house.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==
Karen Jenkins
Iowa State University
Center for Advanced Technology Development
1915 Scholl Road, 151 ASC II
Ames, IA 50011
Phone: 1-515-294-6676
FAX: 1-515-294-9519