Pros of section numbering

Subject: Pros of section numbering
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:13:14 -0500

Mary Anthony said:

>I am looking for enlightenment from folks on the list who find section >numbering useful.

I can go either way on section numbers. I started out on a DoD contract
and we were required by the terms of the contract to use section
numbers. So I used them first and found a preference based on what I
was familiar with. It's like being familiar with WordPerfect and
prefering it over Word based on familiarity alone.

At that time, one of the reasons section numbers were good was that we
were using courier 10 and only had bold and underline. That limits your
visual tools for differentiating levels of detail.

In my last job, the people using the documents had an overwhelming bias
in favor of section numbers, so we used them. It was what they were
used to.

This hasn't always been the case, but now I could go either way.

Chris
--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier and Russel