Re: What makes a good TW

Subject: Re: What makes a good TW
From: Redick Kimberly <redick_kimberly -at- PO -dot- GIS -dot- PRC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 10:37:25 U

Hi All,

Judith Tarutz's book, * Technical Editing: The Practical Guide for Editors and
Writers* , has some great information about good tech writers (and editors).

Skills common to good technical writers (summary):

* excellent writing skills
* ability to grasp technical concepts AND see the product from the user's point
of view
*concern for quality
* ability to cope with deadline pressure
* excellent interpersonal and communication skills
* project management skills
* expertise in using publishing tools
* interviewing skills (to get info from technical experts)
* research and info-gathering skills
* ability to sift through vast amounts of data and select what the readers
really want or need to know
* ability to cajole reviewers into reading drafts and giving useful comments -
before it's too late.

BTW, I highly recommend this book for other info, too. It is very readable, has
some intersting examples, and is great suggestions for improving both writing
and editing skills.

-Kim Redick
redick_kimberly -at- prc -dot- com