Re: Bizarre verbs

Subject: Re: Bizarre verbs
From: Stephen Victor <svictor -at- LGC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 09:33:43 -0500

Bruce Nevin wrote:

> For the same reason that we brush our teeth, table a bill, park a car, etc.
> etc. The process of making verbs out of nouns is as old as English. Indeed,
> it appears to be as old as language.

But do we architect a building? No, an architect designs it, and a
builder builds it. As Arlen is suggesting (I think), the use of
"architect" in software circles to mean "build" really subverts the
meaning of the word as it is understood outside of the software
industry.

(Don't mean to put words in your mouth, Arlen. Feel free to correct me.)

Regards,
Steve
--
Stephen P. Victor svictor -at- lgc -dot- com
Landmark Graphics Corporation svictor -at- compassnet -dot- com