Section numbers

Subject: Section numbers
From: Iain Harrison <iharrison -at- SCT -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 16:50:14 GMT

I don't particularly like section numbers, but they have one major
advantage: They allow a document to be updated without having to reprint
the whole document. You can just reprint the relevant section, and all the
rest of the document's page numbers will be unaffected.

I'd always assumed that's the reason section numbers were used - it is the
primary reason we use them!

Iain