Re: Interesting HTML design questions

Subject: Re: Interesting HTML design questions
From: David Blyth <dblyth -at- QUALCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:55:18 -0700

Michael John Little asks...

>1. If I set up a template page, how do I automatically insert
>boilerplate text in place of variable markers in the template?

You have to do this in Java or Javascript. HTML does not handle
conditional text, variable markers, or boilerplates. Another
alternative is to set up a database then use HTML to format
text pulled from the database.

>2. How could I cause a frame to appear at the bottom of the page,
>once the reader selects a hypertext jump?

Frames appear (at the bottom or side of a page) in the defintion
of a page before the reader selects a jump. Thus, I'm not sure I
understand your question. Do you mean to ask how to cause text to
appear in Frame #2 after the reader selects a hypertext jump in
Frame #1?

>It would act like a popup in normal WinHelp, and I would provide
>a button to close the frame once the reader has found the information
>they want. It could contain definitions, or a map to the web site.

A frame is permanently glued to a page and stays open all the time.
So we're back to a definition question again. What do you mean
by a frame?

You can cause a new window to appear with a defined link by using
"target = _blank" in the anchor. For example....

Your questions are interesting, tho, so send me some e-mail or
respond over TechWhirler, if there's enough interest here.

[Insert gratuitous ad for my paper "Web Page Design for HTML and Friends",
due out in Mid-September, end of Month at latest].

David (The Man) Blyth
Technical Writer & Web Site Designer
Qualcomm

The usual disclaimers apply - QUALCOMM isn't that crazy.

Blodo Poa Maximus