To represent the relation btw cause and result effectively?

Subject: To represent the relation btw cause and result effectively?
From: "Yumiko Funatsu (Intl temp)" <i-yumikf -at- MICROSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 19:39:12 -0700

I know I'm drifting off-topic, this should be discussed in another
mailing list such as the one about translation, but I believe you all
are skilled technical writer and provide me good advice.

Well, I am working at the PSS division and translating some reports
provided by support engineers to send to HQ.

Yesterday, I encountered a phrase which represented some problem in
using software and tried to translate it as follows:

*When I play any wave file, the performance of COM port communication
and drawing screen are (is?) degrade.*

But I think this sentence is not sophisticated and also the relation
between cause and result is not clear. How should I improve this
sentence with a technical writing skill?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yumiko Funatsu / Translator of Windows Developer Support Team at MSKK
i-yumikf -at- microsoft -dot- com