Re: Delete Icon question

Subject: Re: Delete Icon question
From: Cheryl Kidder <chekid -at- SYMIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 13:24:00 EDT

Martyn:

Yes, I agree that half the battle w/GUI screens are getting the users to the
level they no longer have navigational problems.

I think designers must, therefore, design with a more experienced user in
mind and not for the beginning user. The beginning user becomes an
experienced user pretty much the second time she logs into the system.

THanks,
Cheryl D. Kidder
----------
From: Martyn Thirlway
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, September 04, 1996 8:26AM

Cheryl

>We are wondering if anyone else has run into this situation. If so, were
>you able to come up with an icon that implies delete w/out recovery? Any
>ideas or guidance is appreciated.

One product I worked on used an icon which was supposed to represent a
shredder for delete with no undelete. It wasn't immediately clear, but the
users had no problems once they knew what it meant.

Martyn Thirlway