Converting .RTF files to OS/2 Warp

Subject: Converting .RTF files to OS/2 Warp
From: DIGEST Bruce Byfield <byfield -at- DIRECT -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 12:50:09 +0800

Michal Berman <Michal -at- TELAVIV -dot- DDDDF -dot- COM> wrote:

1. Is the IPF Tag language format for OS/2 the same format for OS/2 Warp, or
does OS/2 Warp use a different format?

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the format is largely the same. As the less
popular operating system, OS/2 tends to include support for common Windows
features.

2. Does anyone know of any programs/tools/software that will "automate" (as
much as possible) the conversion from .RTF (Windows) to the OS/2 Warp
format?

Two OS/2 programs which should do the trick are IPF and IBM's Hyperwise.

I've used Hyperwise for two projects, and, while it's buggy, it's WYSIWYG,
includes predefined elements like bullet lists, and allows drag and drop creation
of indexes and hyperlinks. It also includes its own compiler, which
(I believe) IPF Editor doesn't. Sound and animation clips can also be inserted.

Another nice feature of Hyperwise is that it comes with IPF for Windows, a
Windows version of the on-line help viewer built into OS/2 which can be shipped
with your finished product. Both IPF for Windows and OS/2's viewer, by the way,
are very well designed; personally I prefer them to any other on-line document
viewer I've seen (but, since I work mostly in OS/2 at home, maybe I'm prejudiced).

3. If no tool exists, any other suggestions (like going through HTML, Word
macros, etc.)?

You could always go through HTML. OS/2 Warp 3.0 includes Web Explorer, and
Netscape has just announced that it will do an OS/2 version by mid-October.

I hope these comments help. Feel free to contact me if you have any more
questions.