Info-Mapping/Windows NT-AGAIN

Subject: Info-Mapping/Windows NT-AGAIN
From: Patrick McCarthy <PTM123 -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 20:42:19 -0400

I have enjoyed the discussion of Info Mapping/Chunking etc. Development
methodologies such as Info Mapping add much value to the documentation
process. Recently, I was asked to develop procedures for system
administrators to configure a particular protocol on a Windows NT server.
The
procedures had to be developed using Info Mapping methodology.

Generally, I agree with Info Mapping's requirement of seven items in the
user's
short- term memory. However, in the case of Windows NT, I had to throw
that
idea right out the window (no pun intended). Because Windows NT is a GUI
based network OS, each time I introduced a new window, I had to explain
every entry it contained (customer requirement).

Some windows had up to 12 entries. Between this problem and the fact that
I had to add special notes all the time ( to remind the system
administrator that if
you did item D, make sure items A, B, and C were complete), I felt that
the
subject matter made Info Mapping difficult.

INFO MAPPING EVALUATION: If you consider all the required tasks in this
step, I would say I went over the RULE OF SEVEN by two or three. Mr Horn
would not be happy! Of course, Mr. Horn was not paying the bills on this
one
either.

Regards,

Patrick McCarthy