Re: Word indexes in Frame

Subject: Re: Word indexes in Frame
From: Tom Neuburger <Tom_Neuburger -at- LTX-TR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 12:16:55 U

Reply to: RE>Word indexes in Frame

Catherine McNair writes:

> . . . FrameMaker doesn't seem to have any means of converting Word index
tags. Is
> there some way to do that, or would we really have to redo all the index
> entries?

Not sure about this one, and would love to see replies
from the list on this question.

> And when you are putting in index entries using Frame, do you get a list of
> previously defined index terms to choose from? I believe that PageMaker has
> that feature, but Word does not, which is annoying.

No, you don't get a list of previously created index entries, which is
unfortunate. Frame has a nice indexing capability, but that's not one of
its features (yet...). Feature request? Let Adobe decide <g>.

You can try IXgen from frank Stearns Associates. They have a web page,
but I don't have the URL in front of me. Try a search, or ask me -- I know
it's here somewhere ...

My own practice is to put in a bunch of index markers, generate the index,
then keep the index open as a reference as I continue adding markers. I
regenerate
it every so often to keep the reference list current. Works pretty well, for

work-around. I think most Frame indexers do something similar.

Cheers,

Tom