Grammar Checkers

Subject: Grammar Checkers
From: eilrh -at- EXCHANGE -dot- WCC -dot- LUCENT -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 12:36:00 -0400

>If you think that software cannot equal human in terms of linguistics skill
>try reading "An Interactive Support Tool for Writing Multilingual Manuals"
>in IEEE Computer, July 1996. We (technical writers) can be automated. We
>won't loose our jobs, but they will change.

Machines do not now and probably never will be able to accurately
replicate
natural language.

Software CANNOT equal human in terms of linguistic skills, and machines
cannot replace technical writers any more than Eliza replaced
psychiatrists.

Software tools can help us to organize our tasks and streamline certain
processes, but they cannot replace human language and understanding.

Period.

I am interested to know what this tool does, though.

Lisa Higgins
eilrh -at- ei -dot- lucent -dot- com

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-