RAID reflections

Subject: RAID reflections
From: Joanna Sheldon <cjs10 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 04:35:31 -0400

David, Stephen, Sabahat, Eric, Kris, Bill, Peter, John and Mary -- Thanks
again for your help with mirroring.

'Redundancy through real-time data duplication' offered by David sounds the
most accurate to me, though I will also work in Mary's "reflects" in another
part of the same paragraph if I can -- it's just too cool to miss out on!
The word "backup" that I started out with seems, on consideration, to be
slightly misleading, as it might incline people to think in the direction of
tapes and archiving rather than duplication. Though it's true mirroring
amounts to a kind of backup, the drive mirrored *to* is not a backup of
everything you do but only of the stuff you saved to the drive mirrored
*from*. And the duplication, as you all know, is not periodic, as with
traditional backup, but continuous, so that if the first drive should fail
at any time, the second drive always has your latest work. I might also use
"continuous data duplication".

I did some mirorring myself yesterday afternoon, using CharisMac's RAID
package. The utility has its drawbacks -- including the documentation! --
but it works. Fun. Wish I had a spare drive to mirror to on my home system!

Best,

Joanna

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-