Re: Never had to index

Subject: Re: Never had to index
From: "Kim L. Shaw" <103205 -dot- 402 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:32:02 EDT

In her post dated 9/13/96, Nancy Walsh wondered how other writers handle changes
at the printing phase of a project. This happens... at least it's happened to
me more than once. We do several things to deal with the problem. First, we
wave red flags at final approval, reminding clients gently but profusely that
this is the LAST opportunity to make changes. When a document is indexed, I
remind clients throughout the project that the index has to be done at the very
end, after we've made ALL changes and all page numbers are final. Second, we
charge by the hour for any revisions (time, material, negatives, etc.) after
final approval. This fee is specified in our proposal. Third, if a client
insists on making changes after final approval, we renegotiate the delivery
deadline. We tell clients up front that we don't guarantee delivery by the
agreed-on date if the client delays approval or makes changes after final
approval. Sometimes there are good reasons for making a change at the last
minute, and obviously we can't refuse to meet a client's requirements. But we
can -- and should -- get paid for the extra work and should not feel obligated
to meet the original deadline.

BTW, I was surprised to hear a couple of people say they dislike indexing. Is
that true for others? Indexing is one of my favorite jobs -- I find it
relaxing. (I could be weird.) How do most of you index -- online or manually?

Kim Shaw
Words & Graphics Inc.
Houston

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-