Re: What is a Widow?

Subject: Re: What is a Widow?
From: Williams Diane <Williams_Diane -at- DOTE -dot- OSD -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:06:06 -0400

Some folks I have worked with consider a widow as a single or short word
on a line by itself, but most typesetters and compositors I have know
and worked with consider a widow and orphan to be a single first line of
paragraph that is stranded at the bottom of a page with the rest of the
para on the next page, and the last line of a paragraph that won't fit
on the previous page so it is bumped to the next page.

I have never seen a widow defined as a single word on a line at the end
of a paragraph in any printing source I have used.

Diane

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-