widows and orphans

Subject: widows and orphans
From: Michelle Nichols/VENTANA <Michelle_Nichols/VENTANA -dot- ITP -at- LGATE -dot- VMEDIA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 15:41:59 EDT

From one of the best-selling books on desktop publishing, "Looking Good in
Print," here are some definitions:

"A widow is a syllable, word, or less than 1/3 of a line isolated at the bottom
of a column, paragraph, or page."

"An orphan is a word or short phrase isolated at the top of a column or page."

I never knew there was a difference until I read this book! :) It does
recommend that you avoid them at all costs.

Michelle

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-