Re: Periods After Whole Numbers

Subject: Re: Periods After Whole Numbers
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 09:16:56 -0700

At 09:09 AM 9/14/96 -0700, you wrote:
>My supervisor insists on putting periods after whole numbers. For
>example, he writes "200. kg" rather than just "200 kg".

I can't think of any GOOD reason to use it. Reduce ambiguity? No.
Significant digits? No. (In the example, if there was only one significant
digit, would you write that as 2.00 kg?) Because it's dictated by folklore?
Emphatically no.

I can think of GOOD reasons to not use it. 1) It takes up one extra byte of
storage space every time it's used, 2) it's extra information the read must
process for no good reason, and 3) you're probably one of only a handful of
writers in the world that does it.

Lose the period.

Regards...Kris
kjolberg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com (preferred)
kjolberg -at- aol -dot- com
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
102031 -dot- 3556 -at- compuserve -dot- com
s -dot- othoudt -at- worldnet -dot- att -dot- net

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-