Re: What's a widow?

Subject: Re: What's a widow?
From: James Owens <ad354 -at- FREENET -dot- CARLETON -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:00:16 GMT

>> eenie -at- execpc -dot- com wrote:

>> > I mentioned to this writer that although widows consisting of one word
>> > are generally forbidden, if a word has four syllables or more
>> > (installation, application, etc.), it can "legally" stay on a line by
>> > itself.

When I worked in a sweatshop churning out documents for DND (Canadian
Dep't of National Defence), the editors contracted by DND would not
allow paragraphs to end with one word (or partial word) on a single line.
No one ever showed me a rulebook specifying this.

--
James Owens ad354 -at- Freenet -dot- carleton -dot- ca
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Searchable archives located at http://www.documentation.com/
ALL questions or problems concerning the list
should go to the listowner, Eric Ray at ejray -at- ionet -dot- net -dot-