Re: Periods After Whole Numbers

Subject: Re: Periods After Whole Numbers
From: "Huber, Mike" <Mike -dot- Huber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:25:52 -0400

A very good point!
I had a situation a while back in which an editor changed
580K
593920 bytes

It calculates out, but it implies much more precision. 580K means
somewhere above 575K but below 585K (a range of 10K),
while 593920 bytes means somewhere between 593915 and 593925 (a range of
10 bytes).

The 580K number was not exact, it was a guideline for how much memory a
program needed to run reasonably well. The program used dynamic memory
allocation, and the concept of "reasonably well" wasn't tightly defined.
We had tested the software to run in 580K, but I felt the 593920 number
implied that it was a magic number - 593920 bytes and everything's cool,
593919 and you are out of luck, 593921 and you are wasting RAM.

The rule (as I recall from engineering classes a long time ago) is that,
when you multiply, the number of significant digits in the result is the
same as the number of significant digits in the least precise number. In
the example above, that works out as

580 * 1024 = 590000

because the 580K only has two significant digits. 580.K has three, so the
answer would be 594000 bytes.